Why Energy Conservation?
Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) is dedicated to energy conservation. We believe that energy conservation is important to save natural resources, protect the environment and to set an example for students and the community. Energy Conservation will allow the district to save money on energy costs, redirecting those dollars back into programs and services for students. The Energy Conservation program is designed to educate everyone about energy conservation and to promote positive energy saving habits.
- Educate students, staff, and community on the importance of energy conservation.
- Reduce EGUSD’s environmental impact through responsible use of natural resources.
- Reduce energy consumption in all buildings so that district funds can be redirected for other uses.
- Empower administrators to make decisions that favorably impact the use of energy at their site.
- Promote energy awareness and encourage energy efficient behaviors among all staff and students.
- Engage students in active responsible citizenship through energy activities.
- Realize $1.3 million in energy savings throughout the district.
The following simple, yet effective steps will realize immediate savings:
- Set thermostats at 68 degrees when in heat mode
- Set thermostats at 74 degrees when in cool mode
- Turn off lights when leaving an area
- Turn off computer monitor when leaving an area
- At the end of the day, turn off computer(s), printer(s), speakers, monitor(s) and other applicable equipment (fax machines not included)
- As lighting conditions allow, use natural light when possible
- Use one or two lamp switching opposed to all lights being on
- Do not turn anything on unless using it