Dates for Enrollment and Eligibility for Kindergarten
If you live within the boundaries of the Elk Grove Unified School District and your child will turn 5 years old on or before September 1, 2017, you may register him/her for the 2017-2018 kindergarten school year.
Registration for Kindergarten for the 2017-2018 school year begins at 7:30 a.m. on Thursday, January 5, 2017 – at your home elementary school. Please see the Boundary Information page on our website to locate your home school.
To register, pick up a registration packet from your home school. The packet will be time-stamped and dated by the school office staff . Return your completed registration packets by the first Monday in February.
Each year, registration begins at the beginning of January.
- On or after the start of registration, pick up a registration packet from your home school. The packet will be time-stamped and dated by the school office staff.
- Complete the registration packet, including the required documents listed below.
- Return your completed registration packets by the first Monday in February.
Registration Priority and Placement – PLEASE NOTE
Although most families who turn in their registration materials by the first Monday in February are likely to get into their home school, EGUSD is not able to guarantee placement for every child at their home school. Due to crowded conditions in the Elk Grove Unified School District, there is a possibility that your child may be reassigned to another Elk Grove Unified elementary school. Priority will be given to packets returned on time, based on the order picked up after registration begins.
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization record
- Proof of residence within the district*
* Residence Documents Required for Initial Enrollment for all K-12 Students:
Must produce ONE of the following for enrollment:
- Property tax receipts for the current residence
- Mortgage statements in parent/guardian name. If the home is under construction a title/deed or signed sales or purchase agreement in parent/guardian’s name will be accepted. Additionally, a current PG&E, SMUD bill that indicates location of service, or a mortgage payment must be presented to the school within six months
- Rental/Lease agreement – current or recently signed in parent/guardian name. Additionally, two consecutive months of a current PG&E or SMUD bill in the parent/guardian name must be presented to the school within two months
Must also produce ONE of the following for enrollment:
- Parent/guardian’s motor vehicle registration with current residence
- Parent/guardian’s driver’s license with current residence
- Court documents indicating current residence
- Payment verification (paid invoice, credit card receipt, cashed check) for 2 consecutive months of 2 of the following utilities: gas, electricity, water, or garbage for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
- Rent payment receipts for 2 consecutive months for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
- Documentation from the Department of Human Assistance with current residence
Parents/Guardians seeking more information about the registration process can call the district’s PreK-6 Education office at (916) 686-7704.
Kindergarten and First Grade Dental Screenings California law requires a dental screening by May 31 of a student’s first year of public school, kindergarten or first grade. The screening must be done by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional within 12 months of enrollment. If a dental check-up cannot be obtained, parents may be excused from this requirement by filling out a form. The law, California Education Code Section 49452.8, went into effect in 2007. The goal of the law is to establish dental care for every child. The screenings will identify children who need further examination and dental treatment. Parents who have questions about the dental screenings can call the District’s Student Support & Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.
Kindergarten and First Grade Physical Exam State law requires that for each child enrolling in the first grade, the parent or guardian must present a certificate, signed by a physician, verifying that the child has received a physical examination within the last 18 months. If your child does not receive this exam, you must file a waiver with the school district stating the reasons you are unable to obtain such services. You must understand that your child may be sent home if you fail to provide the certificate or waiver, or if your child is suspected to be suffering from a contagious disease. You may find it convenient to have your child immunized at the same time that the physical examination is conducted. [E.C. 49450; Health and Safety Code 124085, 124100, 124105] These services may be available to you at no cost through the Child Health and Disability Prevention Program (CHDP). For more information, you may contact Sacramento County CHDP at (916) 875-7151.