EGUSD Independent Study Program (ISP)
In compliance with AB 130, a new state law, Elk Grove Unified made some enhancements to an existing alternative instructional option for eligible students whose educational needs might be best met through study outside of the regular classroom setting. The EGUSD Independent Study Program (ISP) is an educational program that provides instruction based on the state-adopted content standards by certificated teachers. The following provides information about the EGUSD Independent Study Program (ISP) and instructional time expectations. Parents or guardians may select an instructional program that best suits their child’s needs. Should you have additional questions, please contact your school’s principal.
Will the Independent Study Program option be offered at my home school?
- No. EGUSD Virtual Academy (EGVA) and Las Flores High School (LFHS) are existing independent study programs that have been modified to comply with the new law. If parents/guardians choose to enroll their student in the ISP, the student will be enrolled in the Elk Grove Virtual Academy (K-8) or Las Flores (9-12) and will no longer be enrolled at their home school site.
Will the Independent Study Program be online?
- Yes. The EGUSD IS program will use an online curriculum through Edgenuity; however, students will have opportunities, if they choose, to receive in-person instruction and support.
Will the content curriculum be aligned to grade level standards?
- Yes. Edgenuity is an online curriculum already in use in EGUSD and is aligned to the California State Content Standards..
How can I find out if my child is eligible to enroll in the EGUSD ISP?
- Request a Pupil-Parent-Educator Conference
- It is your right to request a parent-teacher conference prior to enrolling your student in Independent Study in order to inform your decision and ensure that it is appropriate for your student. Parents may contact their home school, Elk Grove Virtual Academy or Los Flores for more information.
- Parents and guardians of special education students who wish to consider placement in the Independent Study Program should contact their respective case manager in order to schedule an IEP team meeting. Requests for independent study for students with IEPs will be treated as a request for the IEP team to consider a change in placement and potential revisions to the student’s IEP.
- Enrolling, Disenrolling & Re-Enrolling
- Once you have determined that you would like to pursue Independent Study, you can begin the enrollment process. You may contact your child’s home school to begin this process. This would include completing an intradistrict transfer to enroll in the Elk Grove Virtual Academy, or the Alternative Education Referral form for Las Flores High School.
- If you are enrolled in Independent Study and would like to return to in-person instruction, you must inform your independent study school and they will support your return to the appropriate setting within 5 days of the request.
- Once disenrolled, should you need to return to Independent Study you are required to adhere to the enrollment process described above.
What are the EGUSD ISP instructional requirements by grade level?
There are specific requirements for instructional time that may involve live interaction and both synchronous and asynchronous work.
- Live interaction means interaction between the pupil and the teacher, aide or other personnel and may include peers; this interaction may be in person, by internet or phone.
- Synchronous instruction means classroom-style instruction, or small group, or one-on-one instruction delivered in person or by internet or phone and involving two-way communication between the pupil and teacher.
Who will be teaching?
- Courses shall be taught under the general supervision of certificated employees who hold the appropriate subject matter credential and are employed by the district or by another district, charter school, or county office of education with which the district has a memorandum of understanding to provide the instruction. EGUSD ISP students will be offered instruction by a teacher of record and an ISP resource teacher.
How much live interaction and/or synchronous/asynchronous time will be offered?
- TK through K students will be offered up to two (2) hours of daily synchronous instructional time and live interaction provided by the ISP Resource Teachers will be supported by the teachers of record. An additional 30 minutes each day of synchronous instruction will be provided by the teacher of record. Students are also required to do independent work at home with a learning coach, such as a parent.
- First Grade through Third Grade students will be offered up to three (3) hours of daily synchronous instructional time and live interaction provided by the ISP Resource Teachers will be supported by the teachers of record. An additional 30 minutes each day of synchronous instruction will be provided by the teacher of record. Students are also required to do independent work at home with a learning coach, such as a parent.
- Fourth Grade through Fifth Grade students will be offered up to two (2) hours of daily synchronous instructional time and live interaction offered to the entire class and synchronous instructional time will be provided by the ISP Resource Teachers will be supported by the teachers of record. An additional 30 minutes each day of synchronous instruction provided by the teacher of record. Students will also be expected to work independently through the Edgenuity platform.
- Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade students will be offered 30 minutes of daily live interaction and weekly synchronous instructional time from the Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade ISP students’ teacher of record each school day. Students are required to attend the weekly synchronous instructional time either in person or virtually. An ISP Resource Teacher will be assigned to support ISP students in Grades Sixth through Eighth Grade. Content based support opportunities for students are available throughout the week. Students are also expected to work independently through the Edgenuity platform.
- Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade students will be offered opportunities for at least weekly synchronous instruction that will be provided by the teacher of record. Students are required to attend the weekly instructional time either in-person or virtually. Content based support opportunities for students are available throughout the week. Students are expected to work independently through the Edgenuity platform.