The Youth Development Office provides district-wide support to EGUSD’s LGBTQIA+ students, staff and families. The Youth Development Office staff facilitate awareness building training on LGBTQIA+ issues, provide district-level coordination and support for campus Gender Sexuality Alliance Clubs (GSA) and other site-based LGBTQ programs, and consult with EGUSD school staff on creating LGBTQIA+ inclusive and affirming campuses and classrooms. These services are funded in part through Kaiser Permanente’s Community Benefits Program Project STARS (Strategies to Advance the Reduction of Stigma) grant, and through the California Department of Education’s Tobacco Use Prevention Education grant.
Student Success and Opportunity Act (AB1266) and Gender Support Plans
Under the Student Success and Opportunity Act (AB1266) students have the right to participate in sex-segregated school programs, activities, and use facilities consistent with their gender identity, without respect to the gender listed in a pupil’s records. Additionally, it is the policy of the State of California to afford all persons in public schools, regardless of their disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic that is contained in the definition of hate crimes set forth in Section 422.55 of the Penal Code, equal rights and opportunities in the educational institutions of the state. (Education Code Section 200.)
Any student or family, regardless of age and grade, can request a Gender Support Plan. Gender Support Plans create shared understandings about the ways in which the student’s authentic gender will be accounted for and supported at school. School staff, caregivers and the student work together to complete the plan. Any student or family who would like to discuss a Gender Support Plan should reach out to their school Principal or a Counselor to request a meeting.
California Department of Education (CDE) – School Success and Opportunity Act (Assembly Bill 1266) Frequently Asked Questions
If you have questions about Gender Support Plans or any other LGBTQIA+ programs please contact the Youth Development Office at (916) 686-7568 and ask to speak with Tami Silvera, Program Specialist.
EGUSD Board Policy
The Elk Grove Unified School District prohibits discrimination against, nor will it tolerate the intimidation, harassment or bullying of, any student by a student, employee, or any other person from or in the District, on the basis of the student’s actual or perceived disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital or parental status or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
EGUSD Board Policy – BP 5145.3 – Nondiscrimination/Harassment/Intimidation/Bullying
- LGBTQIA+ Community Resource List
- Sacramento County Crisis & Mental Health Resources
- LGBTQ Student Rights
- 8 Laws to Know: Protecting LGBTQ Youth in California
- Trevor Project Flyer
- Trevor Project – Coming Out – A Handbook for LGBTQ Young People
- Trevor Project Lifeline– 1 (866) 488-7386 – Crisis intervention and suicide prevention line to lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, and questioning youth and young adults. TrevorLifeline, TrevorChat, and TrevorText available.
- Sacramento LGBT Community Center– (916) 442-0185 – Local organization supporting the health and wellness of the most marginalized, advocating for equality and justice, and working to build a culturally rich LGBTQ community.
- PFLAG Sacramento– (916) 978-0410 – National organization with a local chapter that promotes the well-being of LGBTQ youth and their friends and family, through support, education and advocacy.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline– 1 (800) 273-8255 – The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
Questions? Contact Us:
(916) 686-7568 ext. 67210