EGUSD Student Board Member Overview
The Student Board Member functions as a preferential voting member and Student Advisor to the Superintendent and the EGUSD Board of Trustees. In addition to their regular duties, the Student Board Member provides the EGUSD Governing Body with information regarding student interests and concerns and ideas, thereby enhancing relevance and effectiveness of many school site and district programs.
Eligibility and Term:
- The Student Board Member position is only open to rising juniors and seniors
- Each term lasts for one school year from July 1 through June 30
- Students are eligible to apply for a position every year
Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Student attending a high school in Elk Grove Unified
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Has experience as a leader or is seeking an opportunity to be a leader
- Involved in the community and/or school
- Possess the following qualities: organizational skills, effective communication, respectful, responsible, dedicated , and inclusive/open minded.
- Additional responsibilities as per Board Bylaw 9150
One Student Board Member from the districts’ high school sites shall be appointed by the Board.
The estimated time commitment required for the Student Board Member will be two evenings per month to attend Board meetings, which typically begin at 6:00 p.m. Sufficient time to study the agenda materials in advance of the meeting, which may include consultation with a Board or staff member, for background information related to agenda issues; additional time for handling Board-related business; attend a district wide ASB presidents’ monthly meeting, student meetings, subcommittee meetings and attend the California School Board Association (CSBA) Annual Education Conference (December of each year, usually 2-3 day overnight commitment).
Application and Selection Process:
Students interested in running for the EGUSD Student Board Member need to complete and submit to their site principal a completed application by the specified due date and time. Each comprehensive high school and alternative high school will hold local school site elections. Each comprehensive high school will select one candidate and one candidate will be selected from all alternative high schools. The Board will make the final selection.
The appointed student board member shall participate in a training on the roles and responsibilities of Boardsmanship; The Brown Act; Ethics and other applicable board governance and community relations responsibilities.
- The Student Board Member position shall be filled by a vote of students enrolled in the high school(s) in accordance with procedures prescribed by the Board.
- Each comprehensive high school and alternative high school will hold local school site elections. Site elections will align with ASB or other site elections. Sites will check student qualifications (grade level and GPA). Each comprehensive high school will select one candidate and one candidate will be selected from all alternative high schools.
- The recommended candidates will complete an application and be interviewed by the board. The Board will make the final selection.
- Site elections occur in Feb/Mar
- Candidates are recommended to the board and interviewed in Mar/Apr
- Student Board Member is selected in May
- Student Board Member Elect attends all Board meetings in June
- Term starts on July 1