With over 80 different languages spoken by our students and families, Elk Grove Unified School District recognizes and celebrates the rich language and cultural diversity that our students bring to all of our schools. We are teaching 10,827 (2015 Language Census) students who are learning English, presenting an exciting opportunity for the district to nurture and expand the diverse student population who are ultimately ready for college and careers after enjoying a K-12 educational experience with us.
The Department of English Learner Services employs committed, motivated and knowledgeable staff who assists schools, the district, and parents with implementing program and policies that support EL students and their families including:
- Effective identification, student placement, and communication policies and procedures.
- Implementation of instructional programs and professional learning opportunities designed to meet EL student needs and ensure access to rigorous curriculum and research based instructional classroom practices to create safe, vibrant, and effective learning environments.
- Ensuring on-going support and monitoring of student progress.
- Engaging parents of EL students in district and school site planning, learning, and governing activities.
- Providing interpretation and translation services to parents and schools, and primary language assistance to students.
- Administering annual reclassification activities and celebrations of developing biliteracy.
For more information:
English Learner Services
Susan M. Larson, Director
Cassandra Townsend, Assistant
For assistance with EL programs, please call:
Nicole Kent (916) 793-2953 ext. 67095
Will Jones (916) 793-2953 ext. 67019
For assistance with EL student records or language programs, please call:
Xai Vue (916) 793-2953 ext. 67093
Lynda Villalobos (916) 793-2953 ext. 67094
October 2015 Language Census
Title III Plan
Download Title III Plan
EL Program Fact Sheet