With over 100 different languages spoken by our students and families, Elk Grove Unified School District recognizes and celebrates the rich language and cultural diversity that our students bring to all of our schools. We are teaching 10,064 (2017 Language Census) students who are learning English, presenting an exciting opportunity for the district to nurture and expand the diverse student population who are ultimately ready for college and careers after enjoying a K-12 educational experience with us.
The Department of English Learner Services employs committed, motivated and knowledgeable staff who assist schools, the district, and parents with understanding and implementing programs and policies that support EL students and their families including:
- Applying effective identification, student placement, and communication policies and procedures.
- Implementing instructional programs and professional learning opportunities, designed to meet EL student needs and ensure access to rigorous curriculum and research based instructional classroom practices, to create safe, vibrant, and effective learning environments.
- Ensuring ongoing support and monitoring of student progress.
- Engaging parents of EL students in district and school site planning, learning, and governing activities.
- Providing interpretation and translation services to parents and schools, and primary language assistance to students.
- Administering annual reclassification activities and celebrations of developing biliteracy.
For more information:
English Learner Services
Lucy Bollinger – Director, English Learner Services
For assistance with EL programs, please call:
Will Jones (916) 793-2953 ext. 67109
Lindsey Lilley (916) 793-2953 ext. 67095
For assistance with EL student records or language programs, please call:
Xai Vue (916) 793-2953 ext. 67093
Lynda Villalobos (916) 793-2953 ext. 67094
October 2019 Language Census
EL Program Fact Sheet