April 2, 2020
Dear Elk Grove Unified Students, Parents and Families:
Thank you! The Chromebook check-out process is going well and our meal service continues to provide nutritional meals every day. To date, close to 30 percent of high school students have checked-out Chromebooks and just yesterday, we served about 18,000 meals. The efficiency of both services has been excellent. Like our families, our employees are also working hard to keep things rolling. To speed up scanning, teams are making sure student IDs are out and at the ready and that the Chromebook, power chord and paperwork are all together and easy to hand out. The service record right now is 4.2 seconds at Monterey Trail High School (MTHS) with Mr. Villalta (from Arthur C. Butler) and Ms. Cain (from MTHS). The clock started from wheels stopping to finishing with wheels rolling.
Yesterday we shared that Google will provide 100,000 points of access to “improve Wi-Fi and broadband capacity.” This is specifically targeting rural households, with the unlimited and “high-quality” connectivity being free of charge for at least three months. Here is a link to that announcement from Google.
Today, we posted our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for parents and families on the EGUSD Family and Community Resources page. We also interviewed Ms. Lisa Levasseur who oversees our Office of Family and Community Engagement and she offers guidance for families when it comes to transitioning to distance learning at home.
Don’t forget! There are Enrichment and Fun Activities and Social and Emotional Learning continues to be important, especially during this crisis. Please share that our Drive-thru Grab-n-go Meal Services are still in operation and busy every day.
Once again, here are the five main things to remember about the Chromebook check-out process and visit our website www.egusd.net where you can find daily updates. In the March 30, 2020 letter, the Chromebook check-out and Internet connectivity information is provided in detail.
5 Main Points
- If your student really needs a Chromebook, go to your residential high school, there are nine in the District:
- Cosumnes Oaks High School, Elk Grove High School, Florin High School, Franklin High School, Laguna Creek High School, Monterey Trail High School, Pleasant Grove High School, Sheldon High School and Valley High School
- For health and safety, the Chromebook check-out will be a drive-thru process to adhere to social distancing guidance
- Student(s) must be present in the car to receive the device – 1 per student maximum
- Please have or know the Student ID number for each student
- A parent, guardian and/or relative can drive the student(s) to the school
Thank you and please stay safe, stay healthy and stay home as much as you can. Remember to subscribe to the Elk Grove Unified School District’s YouTube Channel.