August 20, 2021
Dear Elk Grove Unified Students, Parents and Families,
Following our health and safety protocols is key to keeping our schools open for in person learning and we thank everyone who is doing just that. We know our mitigation measures are working and where we see opportunities for improvements, we are making them. We made enhancements to our EGUSD COVID-19 Dashboard, we are updating and refining our notification process and we are adding more staff to our contact tracing process.
To date, total cases increased from 24 in July to 166 in August and we know that approximately 47,000 students returned to school with the start of the traditional and modified traditional school year in addition to the approximately 15,000 year round students that returned in July. As anticipated, our cases and contact tracing increased at the secondary level because unlike elementary school, secondary students have more daily contacts on campus. Fortunately, students aged 12+ are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine and we thank everyone who has already elected to get vaccinated. This, in addition to following our safety protocols, is helping.
Where can parents and the community find vaccination clinics?
- Everyday: Free Kaiser Permanente COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic at the Bruceville Center Vaccination Station from 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m or visit myturn.ca.gov.
What new resources are available to parents and the community?
- 2021 Child Tax Credit: A new IRS online tool is now available for families to quickly check if they qualify for advance 2021 Child Tax Credit Payments. For more information and to access the online tool, please visit: irs.gov/childtaxcredit2021.
- Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT): P-EBT is a federal program that gives eligible families additional food benefits on top of CalFresh Food benefits and school meals. P-EBT cards can help you make a smaller budget feel bigger. For more information, please visit: https://capandemic-ebt.org
If an afternoon bus is late for pick-up, can the student wait at school until it arrives?
- Yes. Our transportation team works diligently to cover all routes and with the bus driver shortages, delays are expected. Parents have the option to pick up their student and they have the option to have their student wait safely at school as we will and do send a bus every time there is a bus student to take home.
Are improvements being made to prevent bus service delays?
- Starting on Monday, we will be instituting service changes and will continue with ongoing recruitment and refinement. The District, Board and Drivers are committed to alleviating this shortage problem.
- We are recruiting drivers as fast as we can and we have 5 in training. We currently have over 100 drivers on the road each day, we thank and appreciate all of the drivers who are working diligently each day. EGUSD is a great place to work and drive because we offer training that is beyond the minimum requirements and invest in our people.
Can parents help with filling job positions?
- Yes! We need your help. We have multiple opportunities for parents and community members to be engaged in our school community. Join us today by becoming a part of the EGUSD family. See our current job openings. EDJOIN.org
- If you are interested in becoming a substitute teacher, that can also lead to becoming a teacher. And, for recently retired teachers, by Executive Order, retired teachers no longer need to wait to return to service. Please visit our Substitutes webpage on becoming a substitute. Pay for EGUSD Retirees is $200 per day: http://www.egusd.net/employment/substitutes/
Are there other important sports related items for parents to know about?
- Yes. Please review the following information related to Football and Water Polo:
Preemptive Testing for Football and Water Polo
According to recommendations from the California Department of Public Health (Updated Testing Guidance, June 16, 2021) non-vaccinated individuals competing in high risk sports should receive pre-emptive testing.
Beginning the week of August 23, 2021, EGUSD Fall sport athletes competing in Football and Water Polo will need to test if they do not show proof of vaccinated status. This testing will be conducted at sites, similar to the testing all EGUSD athletes performed in the Spring of 2021.
Schools will provide sport specific testing dates and times to families, by Monday, August 23rd.
Please contact your child’s school with any questions.
When can parents attend or listen in on the next Board Meeting?
- The next Board Meeting will take place on Tuesday, September 7th in-person at the Robert L. Trigg Education Center. Masks will be required indoors.
Thank you and stay safe and stay healthy,