Dear Elk Grove Unified Staff, Students, Families and Staff,
The purpose of this communication is to clarify any confusion yesterday’s email might have caused. We appreciate the feedback provided and we hope this communication clarifies three important issues:
- The parent preference survey and the need for it
- Our learning models and their development
- Next steps for parents
The Parent Preference Survey
The preference survey gave us important information of what parents prefer with regard to either full distance learning or returning to school. The survey did not lock a family into a choice. The parent preference survey link has been sent out one last time to those families who still need to complete the survey and we ask that they complete it. We appreciate all of the families who did complete the survey. A 60 percent response rate is outstanding.
What we originally referred to as a “Hybrid Model” became more developed and is now what we are calling the “Transitional Model”. The idea of the Transitional Model is to move from where we were in the spring to an eventual full return to school. The Transitional Model was presented to the Board is not finalized because we are reviewing and considering the feedback and direction from our Board and the community. Refinements will be made and shared with parents and staff before final decisions will need to be made by families. Teams are also working to improve Distance Learning. Below are brief descriptions of what will be available next year. More details will follow.
- Transitional Model
- Available through the school of enrollment, this program is a combination of in-person instruction with 20 or fewer people in the room, and distance learning. Extra/Co-curricular opportunities are available through the school of enrollment.
- Distance Learning
- Available through school of enrollment, this program assigns students to all applicable teachers and staff, in which the student and teachers are connected virtually and instruction is a balance of live virtual instruction and recorded/previously posted lessons. Extra/Co-curricular opportunities are available through the school of enrollment.
- Independent Study
- Available through Las Flores High School and Elk Grove USD (K-8) Virtual Academy, this program assigns students to one teacher who develops an individualized learning plan for students to make progress on their learning goals and monitors students’ independent learning progress.
- Elk Grove Charter School
- Grade 7-12 individualized learning experience combining classroom instruction, independent study and dual enrollment
Next Steps for Parents
- The parent preference survey link was sent one last time to those families who still need to complete the survey. Please complete it.
- Stay tuned for more messages. As we enter July, you will begin to receive more details and information about how and by when to select your child’s learning option.
- Help do your part to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community. We share the goal of wanting to fully reopen our schools and have all children back with us to progress forward.
Together, we will find the best possible solutions and in the end, be better in the long run in providing all of our students exceptional educational services and experiences.
Have a restful and safe 4th of July weekend.