Frequently Asked Questions

When and Where – Can I register and enroll my child?

You may register your child for the current school year at any time, as soon as you reside within the district boundaries. Your home school will provide you with a registration packet.

Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Registration happens in early January each year.

How to Register
Transitional Kindergarten

What school will my student attend?

 School Boundary Maps & Online School Locator

If you want to know what school your child will attend, you may use the Online School Locator. If you need further assistance, please call the district’s Boundary Hot Line at (916) 686-7755.

What documents will I need to provide to register and enroll my child?

Completed enrollment forms will be accepted at your resident/boundary school during regular school hours. When returning the completed enrollment form, you must bring the following items with you as required by California Education Code, Sections 48000-48070.6:

  • Age and legal name verification – ONE of the following:
    • Birth certificate
    • Other reliable document (e.g., passport, duly attested baptismal certificate, or other means prescribed by the Board [see EGUSD AR 5111])
  • Immunization records (see Immunization Requirement Sheet in Part III of this packet)
  • Parent or guardian photo ID
  • Withdrawal grades/unofficial transcript (if applicable)
  • Current proof of residence within the district (Note: must be a street address; P.O. Box is not acceptable) consisting of any ONE of the following with the present address and the name of the parent or legal guardian listed:
    • Property tax payment receipts
    • Mortgage statement, rental property contract, or lease agreement
    • Current utility service (e.g., PG&E, SMUD, water, garbage, sewer) contract, statement, or payment receipt
    • Rental property payment receipt
    • Parent or guardian’s recent pay stub
    • Voter registration
    • Correspondence from a government agency (e.g., documentation from the Department of Human Assistance, court, documents, motor vehicle registration, driver’s license).

Exceptions: Any homeless or foster youth must be enrolled regardless of proof of residency. Support for families and schools is available through the District Liaison at (916) 686-7568.

There are unique residency requirements for children whose parents are on active military duty and whose parents were residents of the state and departed the state against their will. Support for families and schools in this situation is available through the Student Supports and Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.

What if my home school is filled to capacity?

Although most families are likely to get into their home school, EGUSD is not able to guarantee placement for every child at their home school. If a school is filled to capacity, it could result in new students at the elementary level being offloaded or at the secondary level being redirected to another school within the district.

Parents seeking more information offloading situations at the elementary level can contact the PreK-6 Education office at (916) 686-7704 and for redirecting information, contact the 7-12 Education office at (916) 686-7706

Will transportation be provided for my child if they are offloaded or redirected?

Students offloaded at district direction between school sites in eligible areas will not be charged a transportation fee. However, students must still register to ride and obtain a bus pass before boarding.

Bus Pass Application/Information

How can I learn more about the District’s transportation options?

The Elk Grove Unified School District Transportation Department provides home-to-school transportation to traditional, year-round and special education students who reside within the board-approved busing guidelines, as well as transportation for field trips. The district’s buses travel more than 2.5 million miles a year and transport more than 10,000 students each day.

Visit the Transportation Department Website