When and Where – Can I register and enroll my child?
You may register your child for the current school year at any time, as soon as you reside within the district boundaries. Your home school will provide you with a registration packet.
Kindergarten and Transitional Kindergarten Registration happens in early January each year.
What school will my student attend?
If you want to know what school your child will attend, you may use the Online School Locator. If you need further assistance, please call the district’s Boundary Hot Line at (916) 686-7755.
What documents will I need to provide to register and enroll my child?
The following documents are required to register your child:
- Birth Certificate
- Immunization record
- Proof of residence within the district*
- All students entering 7th grade will need to provide proof that they have received an adolescent pertussis (whooping cough) booster shot (Tdap) prior to starting school.
* Residence Documents Required for Initial Enrollment for all K-12 Students:
Must produce ONE of the following for enrollment:
- Property tax receipts for the current residence
- Mortgage statements in parent/guardian name. If the home is under construction a title/deed or signed sales or purchase agreement in parent/guardian’s name will be accepted. Additionally, a current PG&E, SMUD bill that indicates location of service, or a mortgage payment must be presented to the school within six months
- Rental/Lease agreement – current or recently signed in parent/guardian name. Additionally, two consecutive months of a current PG&E or SMUD bill in the parent/guardian name must be presented to the school within two months
Must also produce ONE of the following for enrollment:
- Parent/guardian’s motor vehicle registration with current residence
- Parent/guardian’s driver’s license with current residence
- Court documents indicating current residence
- Payment verification (paid invoice, credit card receipt, cashed check) for 2 consecutive months of 2 of the following utilities: gas, electricity, water, or garbage for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
- Rent payment receipts for 2 consecutive months for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
- Documentation from the Department of Human Assistance with current residence
What if my home school is filled to capacity?
Although most families are likely to get into their home school, EGUSD is not able to guarantee placement for every child at their home school. If a school is filled to capacity, it could result in new students at the elementary level being offloaded or at the secondary level being redirected to another school within the district.
Parents seeking more information offloading situations at the elementary level can contact the PreK-6 Education office at (916) 686-7704 and for redirecting information, contact the 7-12 Education office at (916) 686-7706
Will transportation be provided for my child if they are offloaded or redirected?
Students offloaded at district direction between school sites in eligible areas will not be charged a transportation fee. However, students must still register to ride and obtain a bus pass before boarding.
How can I learn more about the District’s transportation options?
The Elk Grove Unified School District Transportation Department provides home-to-school transportation to traditional, year-round and special education students who reside within the board-approved busing guidelines, as well as transportation for field trips. The district’s buses travel more than 2.5 million miles a year and transport more than 10,000 students each day.