Grades 1-12

Dates for Enrollment and Eligibility for Students Grades 1-12

You may enroll your child for the current school year at any time. Enrollment can be done at your child’s home school as soon as residence within the district can be verified. Please see the Boundary Information page on our website to locate your home school.

To enroll, pick up a “New Student Welcome Packet” online or from your home school. Complete the enrollment form in the packet and return to your home school. The enrollment form will be time-stamped and dated by the school office staff.

To Enroll

Each year, enrollment begins at the beginning of January.

  1. On or after the start of the enrollment period, pick up a “New Student Welcome Packet” online or from your home school.
  2. Complete the enrollment form and collect the required documents listed below.
  3. Return your completed enrollment forms to the home school. Priority enrollment for home school is from January to the first Monday in February.

Registration Priority and Placement – PLEASE NOTE

Although most families who turn in their enrollment materials by the first Monday in February are likely to get into their home school, EGUSD is not able to guarantee placement for every child at their home school. Due to crowded conditions in the Elk Grove Unified School District, there is a possibility that your child may be reassigned to another Elk Grove Unified elementary school. Priority will be given to enrollment completed by the first Monday in February.

Enrollment Required Document Checklist

  • Age and legal name verification – ONE of the following:
    • Birth certificate
    • Other reliable document (e.g., passport, duly attested baptismal certificate, or other means prescribed by the Board [see EGUSD AR 5111])
  • Immunization records (see Immunization Requirements)
  • Parent or guardian photo ID
  • Withdrawal grades/unofficial transcript (if applicable)
  • Current proof of residence within the district (Note: must be a street address; P.O. Box is not acceptable) consisting of any ONE of the following with the present address and the name of the parent or legal guardian listed:
    • Property tax payment receipts
    • Mortgage statement, rental property contract, or lease agreement
    • Current utility service (e.g., PG&E, SMUD, water, garbage, sewer) contract, statement, or payment receipt
    • Rental property payment receipt
    • Parent or guardian’s recent pay stub
    • Voter registration
    • Correspondence from a government agency (e.g., documentation from the Department of Human Assistance, court, documents, motor vehicle registration, driver’s license).


Any homeless or foster youth must be enrolled regardless of proof of residency. Support for families and schools is available through the District Liaison at (916) 686-7568.

There are unique residency requirements for children whose parents are on active military duty and whose parents were residents of the state and departed the state against their will. Support for families and schools in this situation is available through the Student Support and Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.

Questions? Contact

Parents/Guardians seeking more information about the registration process can call the district’s PreK-6 Education office (Grades 1-6) at (916) 686-7704 or the Secondary Education office (Grades 7-12) at (916) 686-7706.

Dental Screenings (First Grade Only)

Kindergarten and First Grade Dental Screenings California law requires a dental screening by May 31 of a student’s first year of public school, kindergarten or first grade. The screening must be done by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional within 12 months of enrollment. If a dental check-up cannot be obtained, parents may be excused from this requirement by filling out a form. The law, California Education Code Section 49452.8, went into effect in 2007. The goal of the law is to establish dental care for every child. The screenings will identify children who need further examination and dental treatment. Parents who have questions about the dental screenings can call the District’s Student Support & Health Services Department at (916) 686-7568.

Physical Exam (First Grade Only)

Kindergarten and First Grade Physical Exam State law requires that for each child enrolling in the first grade, the parent or guardian must present a certificate, signed by a physician, verifying that the child has received a physical examination within the last 18 months. If your child does not receive this exam, you must file a waiver with the school district stating the reasons you are unable to obtain such services. You must understand that your child may be sent home if you fail to provide the certificate or waiver, or if your child is suspected to be suffering from a contagious disease. You may find it convenient to have your child immunized at the same time that the physical examination is conducted. [E.C. 49450; Health and Safety Code 124085, 124100, 124105] These services may be available to you at no cost through the Child Health and Disability Prevention Program (CHDP). For more information, you may contact Sacramento County CHDP at (916) 875-7151.