Transitional Kindergarten

 Dates for Enrollment and Eligibility for Transitional Kindergarten

If you live within the boundaries of the Elk Grove Unified School District and your child will turn 5 years old between September 2 – December 2, you may register him/her for that school year.

Registration for Transitional Kindergarten for the 2019-2020 school year begins at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, January 9, 2019 – at your home elementary school. Please see the Boundary Information page on our website to locate your home school.

To Register

Each year, registration begins at the beginning of January.

  1. On or after the start of registration, pick up a registration packet from your home school. The packet will be time-stamped and dated by the school office staff.
  2. Complete the printable online registration packet, including the required documents listed below.
  3. Return your completed registration packets by February 13, 2019.

Registration Priority and Placement – PLEASE NOTE

Although most families who turn in their registration materials by February 13, 2019 are likely to get into their home school, EGUSD is not able to guarantee placement for every child at their home school. Due to crowded conditions in the Elk Grove Unified School District, there is a possibility that your child may be reassigned to another Elk Grove Unified elementary school. Priority will be given to packets returned on time, based on the order picked up after registration begins.

Required Documents

  • Birth Certificate
  • Immunization Record
  • Proof of residence within the district*

* Residence Documents Required for Initial Enrollment for all TK-12 Students:

Must produce ONE of the following for enrollment:

  • Property tax receipts for the current residence
  • Mortgage statements in parent/guardian name. If the home is under construction a title/deed or signed sales or purchase agreement in parent/guardian’s name will be accepted. Additionally, a current PG&E, SMUD bill that indicates location of service, or a mortgage payment must be presented to the school within six months
  • Rental/Lease agreement – current or recently signed in parent/guardian name. Additionally, two consecutive months of a current PG&E or SMUD bill in the parent/guardian name must be presented to the school within two months


Must also produce ONE of the following for enrollment:

  • Parent/guardian’s motor vehicle registration with current residence
  • Parent/guardian’s driver’s license with current residence
  • Court documents indicating current residence
  • Payment verification (paid invoice, credit card receipt, cashed check) for 2 consecutive months of 2 of the following utilities: gas, electricity, water, or garbage for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
  • Rent payment receipts for 2 consecutive months for the current residence must be presented within 2 months of enrollment
  • Documentation from the Department of Human Assistance with current residence

Parents/Guardians seeking more information about the registration process can call the district’s PreK-6 Education office at (916) 686-7704.