Cosumnes River Elementary School


Cosumnes River Elementary School Photo

Year Established: 1948 (Original School)
Mascot: Roadrunners
Colors: Blue and Gold
Slogan: “An Oasis of Academic Excellence!”

School History
This is the smallest elementary school in Elk Grove Unified, but it must also be credited with being the oldest school because it stands near the site of the first real school, the original Rhoads School. This school was built by Jared Dixon Sheldon on the Cosumnes River in the 1840s. It was replaced by the new Rhoads School, constructed in 1872. That’s the little school that sits today in Elk Grove Park. In the fast paced gold days when miners filled the banks of the Cosumnes, there were many school districts formed to provide education for the children of the families that followed the gold. Districts and their schools named Sebastopol, Katesville, and Live Oak ceased to exist after 1883, but Michigan Bar, Wilson, and Stone House operated until 1947 when they merged as the Cosumnes River Elementary, Rhoads School closed the next year and joined the consolidation. The Cosumnes name is believed to come from ko-sum, a Miwok Indian word for salmon. The new Cosumnes River Elementary campus opened in August 2010.

Cosumnes River Logo

Administration
Interim Principal – Dave Givens
Secretary – Dawn Costella

Contact Information
13580 Jackson Road
Sloughhouse, CA 95683
Phone: (916) 682-2653
Fax: (916) 682-5320

Directions
» Google Map

School Website
» blogs.egusd.net/cres

facebook

Resources
» School Accountability Report Cards (SARCs)
» Calendar – Traditional
» Child Care Information