June 18, 2021
Hello Elk Grove Unified Students, Families and Staff,
Programs in support of our students this summer are off and rolling. This update offers information about added resources, safety protocol updates in educational facilities, more details about the 2021-2022 school year, job opportunities and positive stories to share as we move forward toward the new school year.
Summer Expanded Learning
For those of you who have completed the online enrollment for Waggle and iRead, the program began earlier this week and is now available via Classlink Portal. While online registration is now closed, you can still contact your school site for other available summer learning opportunities.
For more information about summer school, please visit our Summer School webpage.
EGUSD Summer Curbside Meal Service – July 2021
July curbside meal service will begin Monday, July 12. Curbside meals for the entire week will be available for pick up on Mondays between 6:45 a.m. – 7:45 a.m. In observance of the 4th of July holiday, no curbside service will be available the week of July 5th.
For more details and locations, please visit egusdschoolmeals.com.
Summer Learning for Adults
The Sacramento Works Job Center, located on the Elk Grove Adult and Community Education main campus, is open for services to community members, and our Adult Ed team is providing testing services in their testing lab, which includes testing for Pearson VUE (also includes GED and CBEST), Educational Testing services (High School Equivalency Exam), No Child Left Behind paraeducator exams for EGUSD and typing tests.
The Sacramento Works Job Center provides programs and support services for:
- Out-of-school youth, ages 18-24
- Adults and dislocated workers
- Refugee support services
- Community Services Block Grant (can assist with costs related to rent, utilities and transportation)
Learn more at the Elk Grove Adult and Community Education website.
Updated Masking Guidance
This week, updated masking guidance was provided from state and local public health officials that applies to both students and staff in TK-12 school settings. Because of our multiple workplace settings and employer requirements, the recent changes, including those by CalOSHA,will be shared with staff in a follow-up communication.
For all students in our TK-12 school settings:
- All students must continue to wear masks INDOORS regardless of vaccination status
- All students do not need to wear a mask OUTDOORS regardless of vaccination status even if they cannot maintain physical distancing. If a student chooses to wear a mask outdoors, they may be allowed to do so.
- Students who are not fully vaccinated are encouraged to wear a mask in crowded outdoor settings or during activities that involve sustained close contact (including high-risk contact sports) with other unvaccinated students.
2021-2022 School Year
The Elk Grove Unified School District Board of Trustees received an update to the 2021-2022 school year plan during Tuesday’s June 15th Board Meeting. District officials affirmed a full return to school with in-person full-day instruction five days per week noting that schools will be preparing information related to the start of a new school year, including arrival and dismissal times, bell schedules and other important details.
- 2021-2022 Full Return to School Update Presentation
- 2021-2022 Full Return to School Press Release
On Thursday, June 17, the District held a virtual recruitment fair for open classified positions. The event was a big success, and we had over 100 participants! Thank you to all staff who helped us pivot this event from in-person to online due to the heat wave and thank you to our candidates.
Are you tech savvy? Do you love helping people? Join the EGUSD Technology Services Help Desk team. Apply now on EDJOIN!
For those interested in a District leadership position, apply for the Director of Secondary Education/District Budget Manager now:
And, if you enjoy driving, being a part of a child’s education and want excellent training and a team to work with, join our transportation services team and become an EGUSD bus driver. We offer paid training, benefits and growth opportunities.
Community Vaccination Clinics
- Community COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic ScheduleVisit MyTurn for more vaccine appointments.
- Kaiser Permanente is offering a free COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic at the Bruceville Center Vaccination Station 7 days a week, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Kaiser will also host a COVID-19 Vaccine Information Session on June 22 from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Did You Know? The CA Governor’s Office is offering incentives to boost vaccinations. See the Vax for the Win page for more info.
Positive News to Share
Toby Johnson Middle School CyberBots Team
Congratulations to the Toby Johnson Middle School CyberBots team for placing second in the CyberPatriot XIII National Finals Competition! The CyberBots team was one of 754 middle school teams that entered the competition and only one of three teams to advance to the national competition.
Employees of the Year
Elk Grove Unified commends eleven outstanding employees as the District’s 2020-2021 Employees of the Year. These individuals will be recognized and honored in person at a future EGUSD Board of Education meeting which will include the Employee of the Year Reception held that same evening in the Boardroom.
Check out the Employee of the Year press release to view the list of employees.
EGUSD Pathway Partnership with Dignity Health
Elk Grove Unified’s College and Career Connections partnered with Dignity Health to connect our students with healthcare industry professionals. Through hands-on experiences using medical technology and knowledge of healthcare practices from nurses and physicians, Elk Grove Unified students are given a head start as they plan to enter the healthcare field.
Participating schools have included:
- Pleasant Grove High School: Biomedical Academy
- Cosumnes Oaks High School: Medical Careers Pathway
- Laguna Creek High School: Sports Careers Academy
- Sheldon High School: Biotech Academy
Learn more by watching the BioMedical Academy Pathway at Pleasant Grove High School video.
College Scholarship Information for 2021 Graduates
If you are attending college in Fall of 2021, consider the Chevron Corporate Scholars Program. This is a selective scholarship program that advances higher education for passionate and determined students. The application deadline is July 1, 2021. You could be awarded up to $15,000 as a renewable scholarship. Here are the eligibility requirements:
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Ethnicities: African American/Black, American Indian – Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, Hispanic American
- Residency Status: U.S. Citizen, U.S. national or permanent resident
- Colleges/Universities: 4-Year Colleges
- Academic Classification: High School Senior
- Majors: Computer Science, Engineering
- States: California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas
Thank you for helping to keep our community safe,